set speed aka onehansonplace.com

9/15/2005

Quality of life issues in Fort Greene

As we stepped out of our apartment at 7AM this morning headed to work, there was a transient-type using a stalled bus as cover as he unzipped his pants and unloaded his bladder full of beer onto the sidewalk. He did flinch once as he thought the bus was about to move on, which would've blown his um, cover. Otherwise, he finished his business.

Then on the Ft. Greene kids board, someone reports their attempted mugging.

I was walking on Greene Avenue towards Waverly yesterday at around1:30PM
when I was grabbed from behind by a kid in a bicycle whoattempted to steal my
headphones-IPod or my purse (which is a smallbackpack). I almost fell on the
floor but I recovered and called thepolice immediately. They were there in one
minute and I took a drivewith them as their radios were informing that the kids
were picked upfrom the Lafayette-Gates corner. I had given an identification to
the911 operator and everything happened quickly. I identified the kid
butunfortunately, the one who they could charge was 13 years old while thebig
ones were staying in the corner but I could not point them directly.However,
cops were happy since the same group had assaulted many peoplein the
neighborhood and they are piling up evidence. The 13 year old isgoing to Family
Court and getting a slap in his hand (that is why thebig kids sent him, as cops
explained, since they can be charged asadults).It was a scary experience but I
felt cops responded very quickly to theincident.


8 Comments:

At September 15, 2005 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear about the cops quick and serious response. I was riding my bike in Clinton Hill a couple months ago and was surrounded by a group of young boys who are shirtless, holding their t-shirts- which they began slapping me with, HARD! A t-shirt slapped at full force on your face is painfully! And even though they were young (10-12 years old, being surrounded was scary. I saw a cop drive by a minute later and when I told them they laughed at me. Pretty frustrating and unnerving. Besides that I haven't had a scary incident since moving to FG 5 months ago.

 
At September 15, 2005 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, should have previewed my post first- sorry for all the grammatical mistakes!!

 
At September 16, 2005 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ltjbukem, shouldn't you get the permission of the poster before you take something from the listserv onto your public board? This was an issue on some other local listserv's because these are online communities where people are screened. These are lists where it is mostly parents after all.

 
At September 16, 2005 1:09 PM, Blogger ltjbukem said...

excuse me for trying to get the word out to our community about quality of life issues.

 
At September 16, 2005 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please don't take offense or misunderstand. my only question is whether or not you should ask permission before you post. thank you for posing this question to the list. i post on fgkids and have some personal info aout my kids, family & home. i fear that info ending up on a public website like yours. i understand why you may be angry, but please understand my position as well.

 
At September 16, 2005 1:35 PM, Blogger ltjbukem said...

no offense taken. i would never put people's names and personal info on this board unless they consented. i'm not angry either. thanks.

 
At September 16, 2005 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should always assume your postings to be public on any internet listserv. As long as the blogger doesn't include personal info (names, addrs, etc.) he's well within his right.

 
At September 16, 2005 1:45 PM, Blogger ltjbukem said...

good point, ^ anonymous. in this day and age, i would be pretty naive to think that i could safely post about my kids, home, personal info without having some miscreant use it to their own benefit.

that said, i have posted to the dlist asking their opinions.

i would err on the side of caution and assume that if you're not comfy w/ having your info out there, do not post it on the listserve. after all, the vetting process is as simple as having a yahoo ID. anyone can get that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Interested in advertising here? Contact One Hanson Place