set speed aka onehansonplace.com

3/31/2005

APB: Ft. Greene con man alert

Perhaps it's the warm weather. Perhaps it's a winter-long hibernation spent thinking of new ways to part a fool and his money. For those unaware, fellow bloggers at Daily Heights had a lively thread about the 'Panhandler with the Mother who has wrecked her car.'

To make a long story short, there was a man roaming the streets of Prospect Heights, Ft. Greene and Clinton Hill preying on unsuspecting (hopefully not anymore) citizens, asking for monetary aid to get a car that had been towed or asking for train money home after his car had been stolen or needed money to fix his car.

I had a run-in tonight with a similar man. I can't recall if it was the same person (I don't think so), but this guy was African American, male, late 30s to 40's, about 5' 10" and perhaps 190-220 pounds.

As I was warming up my car, he walked up on my side of the car, peered in, held out his hands completely unmenacingly, as if to say, 'relax, relax, I'm not here to do harm.' I opened my door and he asks if I can push his car because it ran out of gas. I think, then say, I'm kind of in a hurry. But in my best friendly manner, backtrack and say, well, where's your car. He says that it's on Washington. Here's where my spidey sense goes off- I'm parked on South Portland off of Lafayette, across from the restaurant Pequena. This guy had walked almost a mile trying to get someone to give him a push?? Almost immediately, (as if to ward off my possible offer to go push his car) he says, if I give you my driver's license to hold, can you just give me $4 to get some gas? I immediately kept repeating, sorry, i'm in a hurry a few times. He keeps trying to convince me and then he just walks away shaking his head. I look back and he's wearing a black leather jacket with the HBO Sopranos logo on it.


7 Comments:

At April 01, 2005 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

last summer there was a man who would walk around Ft. Greene near the park with a "petition" to keep the school basketball team he coached from being disolved (and any cash donation). the line was that he was a coach and a player was shot on the b-ball court so the city was not only ending the basketball team but also tearing down the ball court. during the time he was doing this they were renovating the courts so if you didn't know then you might think they were being torn down. he was very pushy, i think he approached me about 5 times throughout summer. total hoax.

 
At April 01, 2005 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

last summer there was a man who would walk around Ft. Greene near the park with a "petition" to keep the school basketball team he coached from being disolved (and any cash donation). the line was that he was a coach and a player was shot on the b-ball court so the city was not only ending the basketball team but also tearing down the ball court. during the time he was doing this they were renovating the courts so if you didn't know then you might think they were being torn down. he was very pushy, i think he approached me about 5 times throughout summer. total hoax.

 
At April 01, 2005 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful everyone, just say "no, i'm sorry but I cannot help you" and walk away...

 
At April 01, 2005 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! I ran into this guy too! I live in Fort Greene and my boyfriend and I were walking home when he approached to ask where the LIRR stop was. Of course, it turned into him needing fare home. It was weird because he said his car was stolen and kept asking if we lived around here and stuttering and saying how upset he was. He pulled out some "teacher's ID card" and said he was starting as a teacher at the school on Adelphi. Anyway, super fishy because if he had his wallet, why did he need money, right? But I felt really pressured so I gave him some cash (which he promised to repay, sure, sure) and walked off. A few days later, we saw him again and called after him to see if he had my money, and he recognized us and walked away. He really creeped me out, though.

 
At May 03, 2005 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the same thing from the guy with the "teacher's ID card" on Hanson Place about 3 months ago. I wasn't ever sure whether he was legit. Good to hear I was right to say, "sorry, can't help."

 
At May 12, 2005 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This guy got me in January or February near my house. It was storming outside and he gave me whole story about leaving his wallet in a cab and he's a photographer and he needed train fare to get to Jersey and he wasn't from here. I gave him some cash, actually believing the story. I recognized him about a month later but I couldn't catch up with him as he was conning someone else. By the time I recognized him, he had walked off with his victim. Scary!!! This messes it up for people who truly need help.

 
At August 08, 2005 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he hit me up on Cadman Plaza, the story involved his mother though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Interested in advertising here? Contact One Hanson Place